Feeding Tube Freak Out


Before we could take Kloe home after her first surgery we had to learn to to properly place her feeding tube. This was one of the most frustrating and terrifying things. I hated putting Kloe through the pain and uncomfortable process. That process went something like this, first we had to prep the tube by measuring how long it needed to be. You would place the tube from her nose to her ear and then from her ear to the top of her stomach. After that we had to cut and get all the tape and protective skin like materials ready and prep the tube. Then I would hold Kloe down and Kody would stick the tube in Kloe’s nose and stop when we reached the number we had measured. I could barely even stand to watch this the first few times because Kloe would gag, wiggle, and cry which made it even more difficult for the tube to get past her throat. Once it was in the right place we would have to check by putting a syringe in the end of the tube and drawing back to make sure we got some stomach contents out, then we would stick all the tape to hold it in place. As you can tell this was not a easy or quick process but eventually Kody and I were able to work so well together that we could do it anywhere without fuss. 

It wasn’t too long after we brought Kloe home that my mother came to visit us and give us a much needed break as we went out to the movies. We had just left and almost made it to the movies when my phone ran and on the other end it was my mother crying hysterically and freaking out. From what I understood something was wrong with Kloe and after she finally calmed down a little I understood that she had pulled Kloe’s feeding tube out and she was screaming and my mom didn’t know what to do. We told her that she didn’t need to eat for another three hours and we would be home before that time. After we finally got her calmed down and made her realize everything was ok I just laughed. My mom the EMT for twelve and half years was freaking out over a feeding tube. It was pretty entertaining and we knew she would feel bad when we got home so we decided to tease her. We laid it on thick when we got home and really made her feel bad. It only took us a few minutes to put her tube back in and all was ok but I still think my mom feels bad about the whole ordeal even almost two years later. It wouldn’t be the last time Kloe’s feeding tube got pulled out and she was sure a trooper the whole time. Even if my mom pulled out Kloe’s tube and had a panic attack in the process we were really grateful that we were able to go to the movies and have a little time for ourselves. 

Comments