Down with Down Syndrome: Sister Sister

Briley and Kloe's relationship got off to a slow start because of all the attention and time away the first nine months of her life. Briley would occasionally want to hold her sister for a brief time, but their relationship really started to develop after Kloe starting feeling better after her last surgery.


It is so fun to see them play together and the love that Briley and Kloe share is unlike most sister to sister bonds. The first thing they do when they see each other in the morning is give each other loves and it usually ends up with both of them on the floor laughing. I used to worry that Briley was going to be a handful because of her spirited personality but now I believe that because Kloe is a part of our family Briley will learn so many things that she otherwise wouldn't. Patience, kindness, acceptance, pure love, and a knowledge only families with special needs children would understand.

The tender mercies that they share bring a joy to heart that I can only describe through a warm feeling. I give credit to Briley for her patience and being able to help me teach Kloe. I know that she is part of the reason why Kloe is doing so well. Briley is the perfect leader that Kloe always wants to follow. God gave us a strong personality in Briley so that she could stand up for her sister and always protect her. I wouldn't be surprise if down the road Briley gets sent to the office at school for standing up for her sister in a passionate maybe even physical way but I would pat her on the back for doing the things we are teaching her. I am so grateful for these two and for the joy they both bring to our family. My life wouldn't be complete without either one of them.

Comments