Down with Down Syndrome: Even at the movies

Last night Kody and I were able to take our kids over to our friends house as we got to enjoy a date night. We went to the movie theatre and were waiting for the movie to start when I noticed a young man sit down in front of us. I noticed him in the big crowd because he had down syndrome. This young man sat down right next to a couple that looked to be on a date too. I love seeing people with down syndrome out in situations like this for a few reasons, first being that it gives me a reminder that just because they are a little different than most they are still active members of our community.

Right after Kloe was born my mother in law recruited a few people she knew who had children with down syndrome to come a visit us at the hospital. Some had children close to Kloe's age and some much older. I remember one lady telling me that when her daughter was born it was a different time. She knew of cases where children born with down syndrome  would be sent to an institution once they reached a certain age. When I first heard this it made me sad to think that they were treated so differently than they are now, but it did make me grateful that as a society we have grown past that stereotype.

The second reason I enjoyed seeing this young man last night was it gave me a glimpse into my future. I was reassured that one day Kloe would be able to sit through a long movie and enjoy it. Last time we took Kloe to the movie I sat out in the hall with her for 3/4 of the time because all she wanted to do was run around. It reassured me that Kloe would enjoy the same things that all teenagers do.

Lastly this example showed me inclusion at its best. After the movie was over and we were walking outside the young man was standing right outside the theatre with the couple that he was sitting by and I went up to them (which I am normally never brave enough to do) and ask them if he was with them. They young man replied yes he is my brother. I then told him that I just wanted to let him know how grateful I am for his example. I told him that I had a little girl who was almost two with down syndrome and that it really makes me happy when I see them being included I thanked him again and went on our way.

I am really grateful for these opportunities to remind myself that Kloe's future looks bright and that our society is slowly becoming more accepting of these children and adults with down syndrome. If only we could all follow this example of this young man and love people with special needs just as they love us. I hope and pray one day we will live in world that everyone can see how special they are and not judge or feel uncomfortable differently abled people.

Comments